Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lou Grant

Lou Grant is a television series from the 70s and 80s about a man working at a newspaper. I had never seen an episode before this assignment but watching it did make me laugh. Grant's dry sense of humor lightens the mood throughout the show. When Lou first walks into the Tribune's office, I thought it was hilarious. Everyone was working on typewriters and Lou even played with an early model computer and said he didn't know what it was. The police sex scandal in the first episode was more than what I expected them to cover in a pilot episode, but it was  very entertaining. The acting was also entertaining. When Lou goes in for his interview with the publisher, her dog constantly cries and she still tries to be sophisticated while doing her crossword puzzle. I was also asked to watch the 9th episode of the first season, this episode starts off with a young woman complaining about her letters to the editor not being made into a story. She claims her boyfriend had an unfair trial and is being charged with manslaughter. I found the judge in the episode extremely funny though. As for my previous expectations of the show, I guess I was proven wrong. This show, although slightly slow going, is entertaining and pretty funny.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder, What deeper issues of journalistic routine and ethics are raised in these episodes? They're aiming to be more than just entertaining. You might look at another episode, and do another blog post sometime. They're all good!
    DP

    ReplyDelete